Introduce yourself here!

HI, I am Bernhard from Vienna, Austria. I am an educational consultant having worked and lived for over 20 years in Australia. I am increasingly interested in open education which is why I am taking this course.

Hi everyone! I posted the topic for this thread but neglected to introduce myself. Youā€™ll be hearing more from me when I facilitate the fourth and last week of this course!

Iā€™m Jane Park and Iā€™ve worked at Creative Commons for over 6.5 years. You can read my staff bio here: http://creativecommons.org/staff#janepark. Iā€™ve worn a variety of hats in that time, but currently I am a Project Manager in the education program and the School of Open (http://schoolofopen.org/) of which this course is a part is one of the projects I manage (read more at http://creativecommons.org/education).

I think itā€™s great that we have this meta-course to think about why we even have a #schoolofopen in the first place!

You can follow my Twitter @janedaily.

@saramortsell Sounds like youā€™ll have a lot to say given your experience with openness! Iā€™m excited to learn with you. Iā€™m also interested in gender gaps of various kinds, and am only mildly familiar with the fact that there is one on Wikipedia. Can you point me to more information on that?

@Cris Good to see you here! Now I know more about you than I ever have from ds106! We often just make art together and I donā€™t know what people do with their other time (except maybe we make art with a lot of our time!).

@ashleygshaw Silly that weā€™re in the same institution and weā€™ve never met. Iā€™ve only talked to you over Twitter. I was in Rhizo14 but only sporadically and not part of the FB group. Was so super busy during that time I couldnā€™t engage with that as much as I wanted. But we should meet sometime, as it seems we have quite similar interests! Iā€™m in philosophy at UBC.

Hi, I am Jeannette, one of facilitators. Itā€™s great that so many of you have signed up for the course, and I look forward to learning from all of you. I wrote a blog post on what open means to me here http://jeannettemarianne.com/what-does-open-mean-to-me-whyopen/ . I will try to comment on a couple blog posts. In the second week, I will facilitate a twitter chat using #WhyOpen.

If I figure out how to delete my other post (the one in the wrong place) and copy it over here, I will. In the meantime, I have (at least) two other blog posts elsewhere to catch.

In the words of the Terminator, ā€œIā€™ll be backā€

Thinking specifically the way bicycle cooperatives works as repositories for access to hardware and also a place to find answers. I been part of bicycle cooperatives all through my undergraduate years. The work I did there in the South Side of Chicago was among the most rewarding I was involved with in college. Being able to teach a neighborhood kid to build their own bike was transformative. It gave them a mobility, yes, but also self-confidence to learn something and become part of a group that served this community of bike knowledge. I want to do this with e-waste, not just computers. I was surprised that in my internet searches I could only find one grouop that has attempted this sort of project. The CCC have been at work for the last ten years not in Seatle or Silicon Valley, but in Cincinnati. http://cincinnaticomputercooperative.org/

Hmmmā€¦I donā€™t know how to delete the other thread. I just tried to test out deleting one of the threads I created and I canā€™t do it. Or rather, I canā€™t figure out how to do it even if it is possible. I do know someone who can, though, so if you want us to delete it we can. After you copy and paste it over here, of course!

That should work by copying the text like you would on some other web page and pasting it here? As in: on a Mac, you select the text and use command-c to copy, then command-v to paste. Not sure how to do it on Windows.

I already copied and saved the text to Notepad (txt) file I keep on on desktop.

Odd though that oneā€™s replies/comments can be deleted (toolbar under the reply) but not a starter topic.

It seemed odd that I couldnā€™t uses my P2PU login and needed another one for this area. The P2PU discussion area for #rhizo 14 (which we didnā€™t use) was different and built into the course page.

Vanessa

Iā€™m a retired educator, community, education and advocacy blogger and social media whatever, living in an isolated rural community in Central New Mexico (US) as long as independent living remains feasible.

Iā€™m never quite sure what to call whatever it is that I or how to describe myself. What about ā€œrecovering casual faculty addicted to digital ankle bitingā€?

Why am here, now, in this course? I believe in open, this net mindset as home ground for and nurturing a natural gift economy and connectivist projects. Iā€™ve been thinking a lot about the many and often nuanced meanings of open, especially in the context of changes facing education. This seems like a good to listen, discuss and share ideas.

Neither I nor good intentions can guarantee my not getting sidetracked part way through ā€“ and the precarious faculty information / advocacy network I run has first call on my time and energy. Iā€™ll do my best though.

Vanessa Vaile
Mountainair NM 87035

waves at Ashley - good to see you here

waves to Vanessa - good to see you here

@clhendricksbc Due to the open participatory culture of Wikipedia, we expect a healthy (i.e. diverse) representation in the editorsā€™ community, and yet - only about 9 % of editors are women. This is deeply problematic to the community and to readers (about 50/50 male/female), who are left with systematically biased encyclopedic content. It seems, Wikipedia is open to anyone and yet NOT. I now look at Wikipedia and all I see is this mass of unheard voices, and I need to understand how it relates to open (participation).

A good resource can be found on the Wikimedia Meta-wiki https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Gender_gap

One of many insightful posts on the topic by (late) Wikipedian feminist Adrianne Wadewitz: [Wikipediaā€™s gender gap and the complicated reality of systemic gender bias][1]

( -Thanks for asking about this, I feel it might turn into a more elaborated post on my blogā€¦)
[1]: http://www.hastac.org/blogs/wadewitz/2013/07/26/wikipedias-gender-gap-and-complicated-reality-systemic-gender-bias

1 Like

Hi,
My name is Paul-Olivier Dehaye. I am a mathematician. I have been a big adopter and practicionner of open practices in research for a long time: for instance, I use the ArXiv to submit preprints of my papers, contribute to open source software in my research and teaching (Open edX, LMFDB, sage), and generally release my educational/lecture material under permissive licenses.
For this course, I would be interested in exploring the new boundaries of openness that are shaping up: open infrastructure, open data, open science, etc. I am also eager to discuss with others how this trend towards openness aligns with trends reshaping civil society by decentralising some of the most traditional institutions of Western society. Bitcoin would be an example of this.

Welcome to the group Paul :smiley:

thanks, hope to learn a lot all together.

Hello people,
Iā€™m Aristarik Hubert Maro, A member of CC Tanzania and SOO, from the Open University of Tanzania, currently working with Inter-University Council for East Africa as Information and Communication Officer of Lake Victoria Research Initiative (VicRes), interested on Open Access issues as am planning to register my PhD on the same area.

I have registered to the training as I want to have more knowledge about Open Access and other related issues on open Access. Would like to understand the power of Open Access or ā€œopennessā€ in knowledge transfer in the world, specifically in Africa.

Looking forward to learn a lot from you.
Thanks

1 Like

Very cool! Itā€™s great to see so many people from around the globe!

Sounds interesting (your work). I work closely with CC, OER, and OEC but would love to add badges this next year.

I know itā€™s rather a pain to have to create new accounts for things. There is a discussion area on the P2PU course itself, and we used that last year, but Discourse (this page) is much more powerful. You can more easily track what you havenā€™t read yet, you can click on someoneā€™s name to see their profile, which has all their posts, we can have all the discussions for all the p2pu courses in one place but organized by course, and more. We and another course are right now testing what itā€™s like to use this platform for P2PU courses. I donā€™t know if itā€™s even possible to integrate it more into the P2PU platform so there doesnā€™t have to be an extra signon. I it would be great if P2PU had a platform where multiple things can easily be in one place, like this discussion area, collaborative documents, etc., so people donā€™t have to have multiple accounts. But itā€™s a long process to get there I think.

I would also like to bolster my arguments, which is one of the reasons why Iā€™m so excited to be helping with this course. I am going to set up a collaborative document soon for the course, on which people can write their ideas about ā€œwhy openā€ā€“what arguments can we use to support it? What downsides might there be and how could we address them? I hope this can be a useful resource for many of us after the course is finished.

2 Likes