Week 2: Find a group to join here!

I’ll be part of a group with you, if you’d like! What, in regard to Creative Commons, would you like to think further about?

I would still be interested in forming a new group, concerned with Open Data/Open Society. Anyone interested?

BTW, I saw this post by Neelie Kroes (EU commission) that was relevant to this course
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_SPEECH-14-556_en.htm

Hi,

I could throw my hat in with you and was @Brittney suggesting more interest in “Open Data” than the pedagogy? And I should really given my current public sector employment @JohnJohnston :wink:

(even if I have been a bit in-and-out of things this week on holiday and trying not to think about work).

Hi @David_Jones & @Paul_Olivier_Dehaye,

I am interested in Open Data and would be happy to join a group with you both. With regards to the press release, on a quick skim I noticed that it’s very much based on the ethos of transparency and “pure openness”. I recently had a discussion with a repository manager who pointed out that “transparency” is often harder to sell to data providers as it implies revealing potential errors and embarrassment, whereas economic arguments often deliver better rates of participation…

I’d be interested in joining the open data group. Caveats: I don’t know much about it and am fairly time poor at the mo.
Was hoping to p2p on train but British Rail seem to think the site is virus filled and block it!

Yes, the argument between “it will help improve the accuracy of your data” verses “I do not want a third party pointing out our errors or drawing the wrong conclusions from our data” :slight_smile:

Very much had that conversation recently! There is that cultural element as well, for example to control or provide one (definitive) data set and official interpretation.

Or is that hanging around accountants too much, and knowing what is reversed off the ledgers to correct errors as compared to the projected image?

Hi Paul

Could I also join the group please? That is as soon as I actually figure out how to join a group.

Maybe you could join the group with @AniaSkowron and @SylviaR, who are also talking about open education. Their discussion thread is here: Open Educational Practices

Hi Vanessa: Maybe you, @prospectrsrch and I could be in a group? We can be a bit of a hodge podge of interests, perhaps. All we need to do right now is come up with a list of possible open practices, and then choose one to engage in for next week!

@simeon you’re welcome to join in too, though there is already an open data group forming that you might be more interested in?

Sure you can. I think you don’t actually need to do anything, just find the thread for the group (which I created) and start posting there!

EEK! Got totally sidetracked. I’ll take a peek at @prospectrsrch. Hodgepodge, eh? Sounds about right. Medley, gallimaufry, farrago and more. Ha! Anyone who blogs miscellany posts for fillers knows, loves and uses the synonyms. Florilegium is another. What about Cabinet of Curiosities?

I share @shuggins’ interest in non-traditional too. but with my own being such a jumble (did I include digital identities?), best to hodge the podge.

I can’t believe I started this in the morning – but (among other things), got out a handful of blog posts