4.3 Reflection and Evaluation

Activity 17: Leigh-Anne Perryman on reflection

After you’ve watched Leigh-Anne talk about who should be involved in doing open reflection and when reflection should happen, think about whether you agree with her. Post your comments in the forum below.

Once you’re finished, head back to section 4.3.

I really liked Leigh-Anne’s point on the idea of guided reflection. In my admittedly-limited research experience, it does seem that while research participants, or funders, or other non-core members of the research process may be willing to provide reflective comments, their more shallow engagement with the research process by simple virtue of not being embedded in the every-day workings of the project can lead to rather shallow reflection or evaluation. A guided process would seem to be more valuable by outlining which aspects you need to receive feedback on.

I also strongly agree with the point that post-hoc reflection for long-term projects, if occuring in isolation, seems almost wasteful, especially if the reflection or evaluation suggests substantial changes to the project itself.

I too liked the idea of a guided, or structured, reflection process that to varying degrees encompasses all stakeholders.
Reflection as evaluation is a summative affair and would be guided towards evaluating the project outcomes or areas of specific interest.
I also like the point that Tita Beaven made earlier in her 2nd podcast in section 4.1, that reflection is an opportunity to discuss the research with the participants. I think it’s important to include their voice in the evaluation.

There are several good points to be integrated in structuring any research - I think having a structure for reflection is vital. However, personally I always work as a lone freelancer - an individual artist researcher rather as part of a team. My collaboration is whatever openness I can integrate into the project. I don’t see that changing much.

Regular time set aside for reflection, and putting a structure or framework in place to see that all the objectives and processes are reflected on, sounds ideal.