Dr Chuck on education technology licensing

It at least explains to me his views, which I have found baffling for a while.
http://www.dr-chuck.com/csev-blog/2014/09/how-to-achieve-vendor-lock-in-with-a-legit-open-source-license-affero-gpl/

I don’t see how having the code licensed under the AGPL is the problem? Maybe that is not what he is arguing for, but he keeps hammering on that.

The linked video about open source is misleading. Richard Stallman started the Free Software movement, not the Open Source Software movement. The practical outcomes may be the same, but the ideals are different. Free Software is about freedom.

Open source was good at also giving freedom when everything happened on your own hardware. The AGPL is an attempt to try and enforce these freedoms on the web too, but it is impractical. Having access to source code doesn’t help when your data lives on a computer controlled by someone else or when you need to run a complex orchastrated service.

I believe in the practicality of open source and I support the ideals of free software, but it needs to be taken further if we want to have end-user freedom. Afterall, technology should make our lives better, not give someone leverage over us.

Great last line. Sums up my comment on his blog.