Hello all, Vanessa here...oops, this not where I meant to reply

I’m a retired educator, community, education and advocacy blogger and social media whatever, living in an isolated rural community in Central New Mexico (US) as long as independent living remains feasible.

I’m never quite sure what to call whatever it is that I or how to describe myself. What about “recovering casual faculty addicted to digital ankle biting”?

Why am here, now, in this course? I believe in open, this net mindset as home ground for and nurturing a natural gift economy and connectivist projects. I’ve been thinking a lot about the many and often nuanced meanings of open, especially in the context of changes facing education. This seems like a good to listen, discuss and share ideas.

Neither I nor good intentions can guarantee my not getting sidetracked part way through – and the precarious faculty information / advocacy network I run has first call on my time and energy.

Vanessa Vaile
Mountainair NM 87035
http://About.me/VCVaile

Continuing the discussion from Introduce yourself here!:

Continuing the discussion from Introduce yourself here!:

1 Like

Love this! “digital ankle biting” … great!

Welcome, Vanessa. I know all about starting and then getting sidetracked. Of course, we hope you’ll be able to stay and continue the conversation with us, but we also know people are busy and things get in the way. No worries about that. I look forward to connecting with you here as much as is possible!

Great to see you here, Vanessa! Now I know things are going to get lively, digital ankle-bitting and all :wink:

I hadn’t heard of the gift economy but had the gift community so I did some research and I see the connection. In the gift community, art is considered a gift and not a commodity (Lewis Hyde’s 1983 The Gift: Creativity and the Artist in the Modern World)

I know you’re a big advocate for the arts in your community. What do you think? Are the concepts of gift economy and gift community mutually supportive?