Community Newsletter 2: September 13

Hello there change-makers. This has been an extremely active week in Writing 4 Change!

Our Monday Hangout

Mondays at 7pm we’re coming together to discuss questions and the design of Writing for Change together. This past Monday several folks shared that they were confused about how to get started in the course–if you are used to Blackboard, it’s very clear what to do first, second and third. The platform tells you what to do.

In open learning, we’re building the design of the course together, so while we as a design team provide activities and support, it’s up to us as a group to identify the issues we want to take on and think about. It’s messier and less clear, but no one is telling us what to do :slight_smile:

Join us next Monday at 7pm here! https://unhangout.media.mit.edu/h/writing4change

And in the interest of building together, Adam, Tyler and I are going to start doing our course design in the “open” as a thread on Discourse: Course Planning Watercooler (DO NOT COME IN HERE!)

Come check it out, weigh in on our choices, or add ideas or resources!

Activity 2: Research Your Issue

This week’s directions were to:

• Find 3 resources of people who have worked on your issue before
  • Start a new thread on DIscourse and post the 3 resources with your main takeaways
  • Post a blog post about your findings, reflections and difficulties under “Activity 2”

Props to Ajay for posting a meaningful quote in his own thread!

And Tyler, Sandy and Vanessa have posted their brief blog post reflections to Discourse under “Activity 2”–don’t forget to set your Googledoc settings to “anyone with the link can comment” and add “writing4change@p2pu.org”: How Do I Create and Share My Googledoc?

And wanted to show the throughtful feedback Tyler left for Sandy, specifically in terms of:

• structure & support: identifying opinions and arguments, and supporting them with data
  • voice and tone: personal knowledge

Check it out: Activity 2: Research Your Issue - #14 by Tyler

To recap:

Have a great weekend!